1. Produced by abortion; born
prematurely; as, an abortive
2. Made from the skin
of a still-born animal; as, abortive
3. Rendering fruitless
or ineffectual. "Plunged in that abortive
4. Coming to naught; failing in its effect; miscarrying; fruitless; unsuccessful; as, an abortive
attempt. "An abortive
5. Imperfectly formed or developed; rudimentary; sterile; as, an abortive organ, stamen, ovule, etc.
6. Causing abortion; as, abortive medicines. Cutting short; as, abortive treatment of typhoid fever.
Origin: L. Abortivus, fr. Aboriri. See Abort.
1. That which is born or brought forth prematurely; an abortion.
2. A fruitless effort or issue.
3. A medication to which is attributed the property of causing abortion.
Source: Websters Vocabulary