Our online medical glossary of medical terms and definitions includes definitions for terms related to treatment, and general medicine
1. The heavy, calcified tissue of the skeleton of vertebrate animals, consisting very largely of calcic carbonate, calcic phosphate, and gelatine; as, blood and bone.
Even in the hardest parts of bonethere are much minutecavities containing living matter and connected by minute canals, some of which connect with larger canals through which blood vessels ramify.
2. One of the pieces or parts of an animal skeleton; as, a rib or a thigh bone; a bone of the hand or leg; also, any fragment of bony stuff. (pl) The frame or skeleton of the body.
3. Anything made of bone, as a bobbin for weavingbone lace.
4. Two or four pieces of bone held between the fingers and struck together to create a kind of music.
6. Whalebone; hence, a piece of whalebone or of steel for a corset.
7. The framework of anything. A bone of contention, a subject of contention or dispute. A bone to pick, something to investigate, or to occupied one's self about; a dispute to be settled (with some one). Bone ash, the residue from calcined bones; used for making cupels, and for cleaning jewelry.
Bone black, a right whale. To be upon the bones of, to onslaught. To pick a bone with, to quarrel with, as dogs quarrel over a bone; to settle a disagreement.
Origin: OE. Bon, ban, AS. Ban; akin to Icel. Bein, Sw. Ben, Dan. & D. Been, G. Bein bone, leg; cf. Icel. Beinn straight.
Source: Websters Vocabulary