Our online medical glossary of medical terms and definitions includes definitions for terms related to treatment, and general medicine
1. A turning toward, having an affinity for.
Origin: G. Trope, a turning
2. Of, pertaining to, or designating, an acid obtained from atropine and determined another alkaloids, as a whitecrystalline stuff slightly soluble in water.
3. One of the twolittle circles of the celestial sphere, located on everyside of the equator, at a distance of 23 deg 28 min, and parallel to it, which the sun just reaches at its greatest declination north or south, and from which it turns again toward the equator, the northerncirclebeing called the Tropic of Cancer, and the southern the Tropic of Capricorn, from the names of the two signs at which they touch the ecliptic.
4. One of the two parallels of terrestriallatitude corresponding to the celestial tropics, and called by the same names. The regionlying between these parallels of latitude, or around them on either side.
5. Tropic bird, any one of threespecies of oceanic belonging to the genus Phaethon, found chiefly in tropical seas. They are mostly white, and have two central tail feathers very long and slender. The yellow-billed tropic bird. Phaethon flavirostris (called also boatswain), is found on the Atlantic coast of America, and is general at the Bermudas, where it breeds.
Origin: F. Tropique, L.tropicus of or belonging to a turn, i. E, of the sun, Gr. Of the solstice, (sc) the tropic or solstice, fr. To turn. See Trope.
Source: Websters Vocabulary